XR technology in education offers a more interactive, advanced, and fun learning environment. In this digital age, advances in technology are more prevalent and accessible. A high-tech teaching method will prepare students to be competitive in this tech-savvy world.
Here are some ways how XR technology can make a big impact on education.
Enhanced Hands-On Learning
Extended reality allows students to experience new ways of learning and exceeds any limit by mirroring real-life situations. It is more interactive so students can better retain what they just learned.
For example, using certain apps, students can now dissect a frog without actually harming one. Learning human anatomy, traveling to the moon, or historic places can now be extensively learned and explored.
Now that schools are implementing either hybrid, blended or full-on remote learning, student-teacher interaction can be enhanced with the use of XR technology. No matter the distance, both students and teachers get the same interactive and hands-on experience.
XR technology also boosts student engagement, interaction, and teamwork. They tend to be more confident to learn in an environment with no consequences, hence they don’t hold back from trying and learning from their mistakes.
Improved Hybrid Learning
Hybrid learning is a mix of face-to-face and online instruction. It offers teachers and students more flexibility in schedule, teaching modes, and collaboration. By using immersive virtual reality, it allows the teacher, in-class students and remote students feel as if they are in the same place.
Here are some examples of XR technology applications in hybrid learning:
- Augmented Reality immersion with existing curriculum. AR can provide students more detailed and realistic information on specific subjects. For instance, 3D images of cells, plants or the solar system will make learning more engaging and interactive than a picture in a book or slideshow presentation.
- Virtual field trip. Virtual reality is now also being used as a tool for getting students to experience traveling faraway places, and even on unreachable parts of the Earth. Using VR headsets, they can explore deep parts of the sea, exotic places or even outer space.
- Pop quizzes. 3D quizzes can make tests more fun and engaging for students. They can have more fun putting labels on a model of the human skeletal system than the traditional way of doing quizzes.
Safer and More Efficient Training
Industries like aviation, military or medical have expensive training. With Augmented Reality, those expenses can be reduced and can make training more interactive. The equipment used is reusable and will take over the cost of more expensive seminars or classes.
Risks are also reduced in AR training. For instance, medical students can practice surgery on virtual patients in an almost “real life” setting without the risk of putting actual people in danger. Quizzes are also provided to help them evaluate their learning.
Here are other examples of application of AR in training:
- Training for space. Astronauts walk in a virtual environment to learn different routes when they spacewalk outside the International Space Station. While doing the spacewalk, they also practice how to use the equipment in microgravity.
- Conducting experiments. Experiments can be done safer and less expensive in a virtual chemistry lab. Equipment and chemicals are more accessible and students can learn at their own pace. There is no fear of explosions or injury so students can continue to try until they achieve the targeted results.
- Corporate training. Employees can learn the parts of a product or equipment virtually and allow them to rotate, pick up or manipulate its size.
- Military training. AR combat training is used to simulate environments especially in situational or operational awareness. This technology also helps the development of tools needed to be aware of time and forces be more in-depth.
State-Of-The-Art Virtual Reality Design Firm
VEDX Solutions provides VR solutions in education and training. Teachers and students experience improved participation and motivation through a dynamic virtual classroom. We offer personalized consultation and customized solutions, all focused on customer satisfaction.